8 Tips for Using a Derma Roller
1. Use a gentle pressure.
Do not force it. Be gentle with the procedure. Do not dig the needles into your skin.
2. You do not want to see a lot of bleeding.
Trust us, you do not want to see much bleeding with a 0.5mm roller. Many people think that lots of bleeding means you will get good results. It dosen't! You should not see any blood with a 0.25mm roller and only a little bit of blood with a 0.5mm roller.
3. If you hate pain, then use a numbing cream.
Go to your chemist and ask for a topical numbing cream. Numbing cream consists lidocaine, which makes the area numb that you apply it on. Lidocaine is used as local anaesthetic. It is good to remember to wait for the cream to absorb for a bit before doing the derma-rolling procedure itself.
- Before applying the cream itself, make sure you firstly cleanse your skin thoroughly. Pat your skin dry with a towel.
- Apply only a thin layer of the cream on your face. Do not cover you face with anything.
- Wait about 15 to 20 minutes before the derma-rolling procedure. After that wipe the cream off your face.
In case you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant or currently breast-feeding then the cream is also not advised to use. It is not advised to use numbing cream while being on prescription medicine as well. Otherwise you should be perfectly able to use the numbing cream without any difficulties.
4. Never use a dirty derma roller.
Disinfect your derma roller by letting it soak in 70 percent isopropyl alcohol for approximately 5 to 10 minutes before using it, every time.
5. Avoid the following ingredients for 24 hours:
- Alpha Hydroxy Acids: citric acid, glycolic acid, lactic acid, malic acid, tartaric acid
- Beta Hydroxy Acids: Salicylic acid.
So basically be use a simple moisturiser and then use sunscreen 24 hours following the treatment. If you are going in the sun (then wear a face mask/scarf) and hat to protect your face from the sun !
Also, If you are planning to receive anti-wrinkle injections, make sure that you give yourself at least 2 weeks post the injections before receiving your Microneedling procedure.
6. Do not use a derma roller daily
In terms of derma rollers, the more treatments, is not better.
You can use a 0.5 roller every 4 - 6 weeks. We recommend doing it once a month. Have a spot in your calendar to relax with your derma roller.
You can only use a 0.25 or 0.3 derma roller every "other" day.
7.Avoid rolling in the shaded area, which represents the orbital (eye sockets) area.
Do not use a derma roller on the upper eye lids. Your upper eye lids are very delicate so do not use it on them.
8. Wear medical-grade gloves
Make sure you wash your hands thoroughly and put on medical-grade gloves to reduce the chances of infection.